Last week I shared about the Freezer Baking Afternoon that I spent with my friend Elizabeth. In addition to the Chewy, No-Bake Granola Bars we made, we also tried a new recipe for Instant Oatmeal.
While this probably shouldn’t be included in a freezer baking post since there is neither freezing nor baking involved, it lines up with the goal of our session – which is to simplify healthier breakfasts and snacks for our kids.
I had been trying to come up with a simple alternative for instant oatmeal packets that might be a bit cheaper and healthier. My kids really love the packets and I really want to do all that I can to encourage their love for oatmeal!
So when I discovered this post about the “secret” to making instant oatmeal packets that taste like the real thing, I knew I needed to give it a try. (Spoiler alert: It has to do with blending the oatmeal and mixing in non-dairy creamer.)
I have to tell you – this recipe is a WIN in my book for a couple reasons:
1) It takes about 5 minutes to mix it up. Couldn’t be much simpler!
2) My son LOVES it. The first time I served it to him, I decided not to tell him that I had made it so as not to taint his view. He begged for seconds and raved about it. Score!
Instant Oatmeal Packets Recipe
(adapted from One Good Thing by Jillee)
- 10 cups of quick oats
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup non-dairy creamer
- maple syrup to mix in when serving (optional)
- In a large bowl, measure out 7 cups of oats.
- Measure out the remaining 3 cups of oats in a blender and blend until powdery, then add to the 7 cups of oats.
- Add salt, brown sugar, and creamer to the oats. Stir until well mixed.
- Store in an airtight container.
- When serving, measure 1/2 cup of the oatmeal mixture and 3/4 cup milk or water to a bowl. Microwave 1 – 2 minutes.
- Makes approximately 24 servings.
My son really loves a bit of maple syrup mixed in when I serve it. I’ve also heard of others adding almonds or even dried apples. I think the sky’s the limit when it comes to mix-ins, so let me know what you try!