How Does the CVS ExtraCare Program Work?
The CVS ExtraCare Program provides shoppers with Extra Care Bucks (ECB’s). These are ‘coupons’ that print out at the end of your receipt after you purchase certain items. The coupons are a dollar amount that can be used on your next purchase at CVS.
Weekly and monthly, CVS promotes products by offering a certain amount of ECB’s if you buy them. My goal when I shop at CVS is to figure out how I can get the most ECB’s for the least amount of money. This means buying items that either offer a high amount of ECB or items that I have a coupon for or BOTH, which is the ultimate deal. (For example, CVS may have toothpaste for $3.49 and you get $3.49 in ECB’s back. PLUS if you have a $1.00 off coupon, you will spend only $2.49, but get $3.49 in ECB’s back. That’s good stuff.)
Suddenly, you have a coupon burning a whole in your pocket and you may feel like you should use it right away. Actually, the best idea is to save your ECB’s so that you can use them when there is a new week with new deals and new coupons. Again, the goal is to figure out how you can get the most ECB’s for the least amount of money. And now you have a coupon that will make it that much easier to do so!
Even better, use my handy CVS Custom Shopping List each week (now located on the Favado app), and let me do all the planning for you!
Kaley’s TOP 5 BIG TIPS for CVSing:
- Sign up for a CVS Extra Care Card. You can sign up online, but I suggest just signing up in the store so that you can start using your card right away.
- Keep your Extra Care Bucks! You will need them when you make your next purchase. I recommend getting a coupon organizer that goes wherever you go.
- Look for the deals that will give you the most ECB’s for the littlest amount of money. Stacking a manufacturer’s coupon with a store coupon on a sale item is a great way to do that. Be sure to scan your card at the red Coupon Printer at the front of the store to see what CVS coupons are available each week. You can typically scan twice per day.
- Remember that you DON’T get change from your ECB’s. Your goal is to get your total as close to the amount of ECB’s that you have as possible or you will end up throwing away money.
- Register your card at CVS.com and sign up for their e-mail list. You should get a $4 off $20 coupon in your inbox right away and various other coupons in the future. These coupons are a great way to lower your total amount spent.
More helpful posts: